Friday, December 4

Cranberry Mousse

We did the Thanksgiving spread pour deux this year, and Jon wanted to try a new dessert. I usually eat pumpkin pie in an obligatory holiday gesture (a carryover from my "squash should stay out of dessert" days), so I agreed. I didn't do anything for this but whip the cream that went on top, but it was pretty good. I'd serve it in small portions and sweeten the whipped cream quite a bit because this mousse is true to its tart, cranberry flavor.



1/2 lb. fresh cranberries, washed and picked over
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/4 cup orange juice (about 1 orange)
1 T orange zest
2 T orange liqueur (we used Grand Marnier)
1/2 T unflavored gelatin (half an envelope)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup whipping cream
Whipped cream and cranberries for garnish

Put the cranberries in a small saucepan with 1/4 cup sugar, oj, zest and liqueur over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the cranberries break down -- about 15 minutes.

Remove from heat, sprinkle with gelatin, and allow gelatin to bloom. Transfer to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.

Force cranberries through a sieve, discarding solids. Cool, then refrigerate until it just begins to thicken.

In a bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Gently fold in cranberry mixture. Spoon into small dishes and chill for 3 hours. Serve with more whipped cream and cranberries. (I had to get my chocolate in the dessert somehow, so I added mini chips.)

No comments: