Thursday, October 22

Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana


I'm glad to see we are both back into this. I made this soup the other day and LOVED it. It's probably cheaper and easier just to go to Olive Garden, but the pot lasted awhile.

1 lb Italian sausage (I thought this was a bit much. I'd cut it down a link.)
2 large potatoes (Again a change: I'd do more), cut up
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 can bacon bits (REALLY? A CAN? That made me laugh really hard. I fried up some bacon until it was about 1/2 a cup, crumbled)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups kale (This was the first time I'd used kale. I didn't even know if it was animal, veg, or mineral. I had to ask.)
2 cans chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Cook sausage in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes. (Yeah, that didn't work. I cooked it as stated, and then ended up frying it to finalize the cooking.)
Drain sausage and cut into slices (I would say cut into SMALL chunks...smaller than you think)
Place onions, potatoes, broth, water, and garlic in pot, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
Add sausage and bacon
Salt and pepper to taste
Simmer for 10 minutes
Turn heat to low and add kale and cream

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Mmmm. It's been raining all day today, and I need new soup recipes. This will go on my list for next week's meals. FYI, the cider was a hit. I passed on all kudos to you.