Tuesday, October 27

Beef Stew with Winter Vegetables

Really? I'm posting a stew recipe? Yes, because it's really, really good... I think owing to the Balsamic vinegar and red wine. I adjust the veggie levels depending on how many I'm trying to feed.

2 lbs. stew meat
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T butter
1 large onion, cut into 1/2" thick wedges
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red wine (burgundy was awesome)
3 cups beef stock
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
1/2 -1 tsp sage
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2-3 potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
Cornstarch

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag, and toss the meat to coat with mixture. Place the meat single layer in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until browned on all sides, and transfer meat to the crockpot as pieces are cooked.

In same pan, melt the butter. Saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add to the crockpot.

Deglaze the pan with red wine and bring to a simmer, scraping up all the browned bits from bottom of the saucepan. Pour into the crockpot. Add all of the other ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5. I like a thicker stew, so I add cornstarch mixed with water during the last 30-45 minutes of cooking.

I always cook in a crockpot even though the recipe doesn't call for it, otherwise stew meat is always too chewy for me. It melts in your mouth if you cook it all day. If you want to do it on the stove, just simmer the meat and onions for 1 hour then add the veggies and cook until tender.
~L

2 comments:

Teacher Extraordinaire said...

Really? I just made it last night, and neither Eric nor I liked it. Was it the butternut squash, perhaps? Too sweet. Dunno. What made you like it?

Tish said...

I made this last week and loved it!I just used whatever vegetables I had on hand. I did however have some a few days later and the leftovers weren't that great.