Saturday, August 1

NY Black and

These were a hit at book club, for sure. They were very soft -- almost TOO soft to pick up off the tray and definitely too soft to layer on top of each other. I wonder if cooking them a smidge longer would help. Hard to frost, but I'm retarded. VERY tasty. Martha has a recipe for a mini-version that I'll post and we can compare, which, after all, is the purpose of this blog, right?

Martha's version:

1 1/4 c flour
1/2 baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBS butter, room temp
1/2 sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 c low-fat buttermilk (Do they make such a thing?)

Oven 350. Sift dry together. Mix butter until creamy, add sugar. Mix until fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Mix in dry in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls, drop onto baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake until bottoms turn golden, about 10 minutes. She says to rotate sheets half-way through, but she's neurotic about this throughout the book.

Icing:
2 c powdered sugar
1 TBS plus 1 tsp light corn syrup
2 1/2 tsp lemon juice (think you could omit?)
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 TBS water, plus more if needed
1 TBS cocoa

Whisk powdered sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and water in small bowl until smooth. Get it to a consistency slightly thicker than honey. Transfer half out. Stir coca into half; thin with water if needed. Frost white first?

The thing I liked about your recipe was the sour cream in the dough. We'll see if it matters...
1/4

1 comment:

Lauren said...

They look tasty. I'll have to try them this weekend. :) It's been too long since I've baked (I had to return the library book because I'd maxed out my renewals.) I'm going through cookie withdrawals...