Friday, May 7

Would you rather spoon...

I'm not a huge cake fan, but since I've started decorating cakes, my intake of them has dramatically increased. I was experimenting with a new chocolate frosting recipe this week, and it was a-mazing. It made a mediocre cake taste awesome, and it was great on its own. It's a little more work than the normal cocoa/powdered sugar variety, but it's worth it... even if you just use it on graham crackers.

Fudgy Chocolate Frosting
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over barely simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool until tepid.

Beat butter on low until smooth and creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the vanilla. Add the melted chocolate and beat until mixed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Turn to medium and beat until aerated slightly, 1-2 minutes.

I didn't want as fluffy an icing, and I needed more, so I increased the sugar by 1 cup and didn't beat it as much. The result is yummy – I think owing to the fact that it uses chocolate instead of cocoa... and that cup of butter probably helps as well.

Any of you ever tried icing that requires cooking/beating eggs? I'm wondering if it's worth the time...

No comments: